[TriLUG] Installing Linux

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 01:01:48 EDT 2005

John has hit the nail on the head: go with live CDs for teaching and for
deciding what you want to install on your personal compie.

I'm not going to start a KDE vs. Gnome discussion. instead I'll point out
that you should try both. Knoppix uses KDE, but I have soft spot for ubuntu,
so I think you should try kubuntu also/instead.

kubuntu = ubuntu with a KDE default desktop

kubuntu has a live CD, too.

If you need help figuring out how to burn an ISO image, let google know. If
that fails, ask me. :)

some links:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/hoary/ --kubuntu download page
http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.04/ --ubuntu download page
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html
http://www.knoppix.org/

The fact that all of the above are debian-based projects brings a big, broad
smile to my face.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php --HOW many linux live CDs are
there?

-CMP