[TriLUG] Bind permission errors

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Aug 8 14:15:34 EDT 2005

John Berninger wrote:

>On Fri, 05 Aug 2005, Douglas Ward wrote:
>

>>Is this done on a zone by zone basis or for the entire server?
>>

>        I've always done it zone-by-zone, in case I wanted to have
>different slaves for one zone than for another, but I believe you can
>set a server-wide allow-transfers option as well.  Of course, it's been
>so long since I looked at those docs that I could be hallucinating...

You're not hallucinating.  allow-transfer {}; is a valid statement
either in the options{}; section where it has a global effect, or inside
a zone{}; statement where it is only applicable to that zone.

And for reference, that error as originally quoted is definitely a
transfer problem, not a local file permissions problem.  The "while
receiving responses:" context of the "permission denied" error message
indicates that the permission denied error came from the remote end, as
a response to the transfer request.  A quick "host -t axfr <zone>
<server>" would probably yield permission denied as well, as a quick way
to confirm the problem.

Enjoy!
Aaron S. Joyner