[TriLUG] Grub and new kernels

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Fri Aug 12 06:25:36 EDT 2005

Being a long-time LILO user and completely new to Grub, and not having
built as many "new style" kernels as old, I have a couple of questions
about integration.

I seem to have a working Grub setup.  I have /boot/grub/menu.lst and
when I reboot the box I get a menu list and can select a kernel to
build.  These kernels are /vmlinuz, /vmlinuz.old, /boot/vmlinuz, etc.

I have my kernel source under /usr/src, and have successfully configured
and made it. ( make )  I have compiled this one _without_ loadable
modules, so when I tried "make modules" it told me so.  When I did "make
install" it told me that it was looking for ELILO and not finding it,
but had found Grub.  It then told me to set up my menu.lst so that it
referred to "/boot/arch/i386/.../bzImage-2.6.10".

I have no such file in no such path.  I copied the bzImage from the
kernel tree to /boot and modified menu.lst accordingly.  When I reboot
to that kernel -- kernel panic!

In the "olden days" I used to do "make bzlilo" and it would create a
"vmlinuz" file from bzImage and put it in /.  Is this the sort of
thing that I still need to do, even though I am no longer running
LILO, or is there something else that I am missing?

Thank you,
Brian