[TriLUG] Grub and new kernels

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Mon Aug 15 02:02:39 EDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 05:29:08AM -0700, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Brian McCullough wrote:
>

> >did that.  ( is that "."config, or config? )
>
> /usr/src/linux/.config

Sorry, what I meant to ask was whether this should become
/boot/dot-config, or just /boot/config ?

> >I don't _think_ so, but will re-check.  ( I copied an existing stanza
> >from the menu.lst file. )
>
> doesn't mean a thing. Your partitions (hence locations) may
> be different.

I guess I wasn't being clear.

I installed Grub over my existing, working, LILO configuration.

The menu.lst file referred to the old /vmlinuz file and booted correctly
with Grub.

I then copied that stanza for the new kernel that I had compiled, and
tried to boot that, getting the kernel panic that I described.

The menu.lst stanza that I tried to use is:

title  Linux
	kernel (hd0,1)/boot/bzImage-2.6.10 root=/dev/hda2
	ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us atapicd nosound
	noapic noacpi acpi=off noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp
	nomce nodhcp xmodule=vesa hdc=ide-cd

Since I compiled the kernel without either loadable modules or initrd (
as far as I know ), I didn't include those --- hmmmm, I notice a
reference to /etc/init.  I will check the machine to see if that is
valid, although I don't know why it wouldn't be, if the other kernel has
the same parameters.

> Joe

Thanks,
Brian