[TriLUG] how do I use cardbus under Linux-2.6?

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Aug 17 12:45:39 EDT 2005

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I have cardbus turned on in the kernel build for 2.6.12, but cardbus
> adapters are not recognised on insertion (nothing in logs, no lights on
> the ethernet cardbus adapters). Even if I didn't have the correct
> driver, I would expect a "no driver found for device X" type message. I
> have a 6yr old Thinkpad. Does cardbus, being 32 bit rather than 16bit
> like pcmcia, require different hardware (eg controller chip, something
> in the pcmcia connector) that I didn't have, or should it work?

Joe,

Sorry for not getting back sooner -- life keeps getting in the way of
the important stuff!

Hmmm, Thinkpad and Cardbus.  Yes, I had some fun with my 600e while I
was learning how to get things to work.  I don't have it in front of me
at the moment, but will try my memory.

/etc/pcmcia/ should have a configuration file that matches card
"signatures" to drivers.  Does your card appear there?

/etc/hotplug also has controls in the Thinkpad

Do you have a loadable module, or the appropriate driver bound into the
kernel?

That's about all I remember at the moment.  I will go through the
machine when I get home this evening if you need more.

Brian