[TriLUG] Linux DNS Server issues with DOS client

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Wed Aug 24 11:35:32 EDT 2005

Thanks Aaron, the spanning tree was the issue.

Now a follow up question: So on this same dos setup I have multiple
Windows servers with 2 nics, the first nic is on the REAL network, the
second on this private in question. If I try to do a net use g:
\\servername\share, it says "the computer name specified is not found in
the network path cannot be located". My boot process mounts one server
as a drive but manually it doesn't. I've looked through the autoexec.bat
on this and I don't see anything that would cause this. I've even put
"hosts" and "lmhosts" in a dir that's on the path to no avail.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this part?

Again the DNS server is also the DHCP server, and it has reservations
for these servers in the DHCP config. the DNS server also has the
servers listed in the zones. Since DNS isn't my strongest point, I'm
assuming I missed something in the DNS setup.

TIA,
 Roy