[TriLUG] OT: mail servers corrupting our attachments

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Aug 25 11:55:25 EDT 2005

> I guess this is OT, since OUR servers (BSD and Linux) do NOT have this
> problem.  We send out license keys to our customers via email.  The keys
> are encrypted files (i.e. binary).  We've always received reports of the
> license keys arriving corrupted.  But the reports are becoming more and
> more frequent.  When we zip the key and resend it (manually), the keys
> always get through.

You think the servers are corrupting the keys?  Or does the
user's mail client corrupt the keys when it saves the file?
It could be some brain-dead CR/LF problem.

Maybe you could get a customer to forward the original email
back to you, to see if the key is corrupted in transit or only
when it is saved.

Of course, the does not really solve the problem, but it helps
you know your enemy better.

Alan

.