[TriLUG] Website Directory Listing via HTTP?

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Thu Aug 25 14:17:06 EDT 2005

Shane O'Donnell wrote:
> So perhaps the web servers I'm working with allow this remote
> directory listing capability.  And if that's the case, I'm just
> looking for a quick/dirty utility to exploit it.

Sorry, I misunderstood.  If you are able to view the directory listing
in a browser, then you are halfway there.  What you are seeing is simply
an auto-generated web page that looks like a directory listing.

I would think that a perl script would be able to extract the desired
information from the HTML...but I don't know enough perl to extract my
name from this email, so I can't help.  The answer may not be very
portable from server to server, since the server can structure the HTML
however it likes.

If you have WebDAV on the server, then you could get an XML structured
listing that might be easier to parse, using the PROPFIND command.  I assume
there is a client similar to wget for WebDAV.  Here's an example of telnet:
   http://www.securiteam.com/unixfocus/5CP012A2KO.html

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software