[TriLUG] Website Directory Listing via HTTP?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 22:31:34 EDT 2005

On 8/25/05, Shane O'Donnell <shaneodonnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> So here's the real use case...
>
> A web server, for which I have ONLY HTTP access, has an MP3
> repository.  So does my laptop.  I want to be able to pull a complete
> listing of available MP3s, including directory information (which
> contains artist, album info) and compare it to the MP3s I have on my
> laptop so I can determine what I need to push to the web server and
> what is available that I don't have on my laptop.
>
> So is "a manual rsync via HTTP" a better description?

Shane,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears you want to do
two things.

1. Copy any files you don't have from the http server to your laptop
2. Copy any files that are only on the laptop to the server.

With only http access I can't help you with #2. (I mean, if we only
had a wheelbarrow, that would be something.)  But, with #1,
you should be able to do it with wget.  Look up the docs for
"mirroring" and for restricting what it gets by file extension.
Then, as long as the directory layouts are the same, have
it mirror and only get mp3 files.

Cheers,
Tanner

--