[TriLUG] Are Certifications worth it?

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 22:32:19 EDT 2005

Look on Monster.com <http://Monster.com>. RHCE is by FAR better represented
as far as what employers are seeking goes. LPI teaches a lot of differrent
aspects that are intended to not be specific to any one vendor. In a perfect
world, that is a nice thing. In a perfect world I would study all distros
equally, weigh everything perfectly, and make sure that I don't form any
unfair opinions.

However I believe that most corporate envioronments are WAY more likely to
run Red Hat than a lot of other distros, with the possible exception of some
server farm environments that might run a lot of Debian, Gentoo, etc. This
is for better or for worse depending on uses and other positive attributes
of other distros. I am not saying RH is better, only better in terms of name
recognition which of course buys it lots of market share among the 'lets do
what everyone else is doing' corporate managerial types.

Therefore it seems wiser to study for something based on the vendor that
people are most likely to run with. If there was any Debian training
available, maybe that would be a competition for it. I have noticed that
SuSE/Novell has tacked on the 'Certified Linux Engineer' CLE certification,
which is really just add-on to their Novell CNA/CNE track.

Beyond name recognition it is also important to note that the RHCE is a
tough exam that tests real world stuff with broken machines, hands on the
network services, etc. No multiple choice or 'paper' certified individuals
with this cert. My money is on RHCE.

Marc