[TriLUG] Linux DNS Server issues with DOS client

Mark Shuford mark at tmhco.com
Thu Aug 25 23:09:52 EDT 2005

Yeah, looks like. When I saw DOS I just thought (w/o thinking) DOS in a
Window. I don't think of _just_ DOS that much any more.

I do remember, back in the day, that we had a 3rd party (Wollongong) IP
stack for DOS -- along with NFS, FTP, etc. tools. It took care of DNS
and about anything else you'd needed.

Don't know what's still available... I'd think that someone would have
done an OpenWare somesuch by now. Matter of fact, I think Wollongong's
patents ought to be about up, if not already.

mds

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:32:30 -0700
Aaron Joyner <aaron at joyner.ws> wrote:

> Mark Shuford wrote:
>
> >Well, this isn't DOS; it says windows. There's a checkie box
> >(TM)(SM)(C)(BS) in the Windows setup, somewhere, that says 'use DNS
> >for name resolution' or some such. That and setting stuff in the DNS
> >tab is s'posed to do what you're after.
> >

> I'm pretty sure what Roy was asking about a is true, honest-to-gosh
> MS-DOS environment.  Probably along the lines of version 6.22.  In
> this ancient land, where things were not good and the age was still
> dark, life was not happy.  Vendors came up with their own networking
> protocols, installing drivers involved editing configuration files
> *gasp*, and the average user was glum, toiling away at his forge
> trying to make something sharp with which to kill his neighbor, when
> all of his tools were dull.
>
> In the more modern world, M$ has learned from a few of their mistakes,
>
> and stopped trying to reinvent the wheel.  They're resorted to what
> works best, copying the ideas that came before you, and improving upon
>
> them (also known as evolution).  Thus, a modern windows system uses
> Active Directory (which is LDAP and Kerberos, using DNS as the name
> lookup method).  But being a corporate entity obsessed with backward
> compatibility, they still support the old NetBios protocols, as well
> as their name look and resolution.  So yes, a modern windows system
> can do both DNS and NetBios resolution, but an older DOS system can
> not use DNS for name resolution of network shares, unfortunately.
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

Mark Shuford