[TriLUG] Are Certifications worth it?

Kevin Sonney kevin at sonney.com
Fri Aug 26 09:17:13 EDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 10:32:19PM -0400, Marc M spoke thusly:
> Beyond name recognition it is also important to note that the RHCE is a
> tough exam that tests real world stuff with broken machines, hands on the
> network services, etc. No multiple choice or 'paper' certified individuals
> with this cert. My money is on RHCE.

As part of my job at the 'Hat[1], I'm required to have a valid
RHCE. I've taken (and passed) the exam three times[2]. Each time they have
something new - something to make even an experienced sysadmin (and
RHCE) sweat a little (or a lot). It is by far one of the most
difficult tests I've taken, and probably one of the most rewarding
ones to pass.

As to the cost point made by another email - the exam-only option is
$749 (RH302), whereas the Rapid Track course with the exam on the
last day is $3000 (RH300). If you're confident in your skills, the
RH302 might be the right choice. If you want a week of review to
re-enforce what you already know, the RH300 is the way to go.

[1] Full Disclosure - I'm a Sales Engineer. Yes it's my job to sell
this stuff. No, this isn't a pitch. You want the pitch?
http://www.redhat.com/training

[2] Cert Numbers available on request

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --