[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Aug 27 07:04:33 EDT 2005

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Owen Berry wrote:

> In the mean time, anybody know of good/reasonably affordable data
> recovery services in the area,

when I last looked, data recovery was in the $1000's range.

Last disk that died on me with clicking, I put in the
freezer, and on removal wrapped in a plastic bag (so the
condensation didn't short out any of the electronics) and
booting from another disk, copied everything off as quick as
possible. I think I had to do several interations of
freezing it. I don't know if this is a general solution or I
was lucky. I wouldn't run the disk anymore than you need in
the meantime.

Joe