[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sat Aug 27 10:47:01 EDT 2005

Clicks of death can also be caused by confused/failing electronics, which
cause the heads to jitter out onto the data area of the platters and then
snap back into parking position.

For folks who actually still haven't torn open a dead drive to see the
innards, there's a small (but fairly powerful) magnet which holds the heads
in parking position when the drive is unpowered.  A small metal tab on the
positioning assembly makes contact with the magnet when the heads are parked
and goes *click!*

Everyone should dismantle a [already dead or it will be!] hard drive.
There's neat stuff in there. :-)

~B