[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 28 00:35:47 EDT 2005

Guys, I'm serious: HOW are you getting so many drives to fail?

NetApp stuffs data center racks with upwards of 84 Maxtor 350GB drives,
with failure rates of about 1-2 per operating year (about 2.5%).

Yeah, the bigger 7800rpm and up Maxtor drives run a little warm, but
with just a tiny bit of ventilation, they cool right down. Everyone I
know who runs more than one bit HDD uses HDD coolers with 'em. It
doesn't take much air, strategically placed, and the drives are nice 'n
cool.

I have four Maxtor drives in unventilated, uncooled USB 2.0 enclosures
and they are working like a champ: 1 80GB, 1 200Gb and two 250GB. They
get warm, but I perch the unit on something to get air flowing around
them and they do fine.

Look: Maxtor has never put cash in my pocket, so I really don't care
about feverishly defending their product quality. And Seagate is a fine
product line, but I DO care about finding out how you guys saw such
incredible failure rates - I'd like to avoid doing whatever it was that
caused them to fail so dramatically.

JKB