[TriLUG] Failing hard drives (laptops)

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Aug 28 08:04:34 EDT 2005

Speaking of failing hard drives, I have an old thinkpad T23 that has started
to lock up randomly.  Looking at the logs shows disk I/O errors, so I'm
thinking that the drive is starting to go bad.

Now, for my desktop machines, I always just buy parts separately, and I know
how to track down compatability issues?  I've never really done any laptop
hardware maintenance except upgrading RAM.  Are laptop hard drives generally
compatiable?  IBM/Lenovo doesn't even keep information on the T23's
compatibility with their current product selection, so I'm not sure how to
guarantee that the laptop will be able to fit and read/write to some random
vendor's "hard drive for mobile devices."

Does anyone have experience with this?

BTW, the laptop is happily running Debian sarge.  I'm planning to use g4u to
ghost the drive (if I can get through the entire disk without fatal disk
errors) to one of my desktop machines so that I can restore it to the new
drive.  If anyone knows a better option, I'd love to listen to the voice of
experience. :-)

---Tom