[TriLUG] Failing hard drives (laptops)

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Aug 28 08:49:16 EDT 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, T. Bryan wrote:

> Speaking of failing hard drives, I have an old thinkpad T23 that has started
> to lock up randomly.

run smartd on it (http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/)

presumably this will work on laptop drives.

I have smartd running as a cronjob on all my desktops doing
the long (smartctl /dev/hd${whatever} -t long) test once a
week and the short test (smartctl -c /dev/hd${whatever})
every hour and send me e-mail if there's a problem or if
everything's OK, send a message via logger.

Joe