[TriLUG] Hard drive recovery

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Sun Aug 28 22:41:54 EDT 2005

Along the lines of this thread my dad came into town this weekend. His
old laptop had a 1+ year old Seagate drive making the same clicking of
death sound.  I booted knoppix and was able to get most of the data he
needed that he never copied that disk.  He was fortunate I was able to
get what he needed off.  Anyhow I went Seagate's web site to download
their diagnostic tools so he could scan the drive and prove it was bad
since we had gotten everything he needed off.  While looking for the
Seagate disk tools it was cool to see they had a Linux version of the
tools.  Maybe Maxtor or WD does too, I don't know.

Matt