[TriLUG] On bidding maintenance.

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Aug 29 09:59:43 EDT 2005

I'm bidding on a project that requires maintenance. I'll
offer maintenance on both a per incident or annual basis
(the customer will chose). The code I will install is _not_
critical to the businesses operation, but they would be glad
if it wasn't down any more than could be helped.

Since there's only me doing this, rather than a large
corporation, I can't guarantee a response time (eg I go
hiking for my vacations and am not contactable). What I can
offer is "best effort" (or whatever it's called) which will
usually be less than 24hrs during the week, and for about
half the weekends. If I go hiking I can get another SA to be
on call and cover for me.

What's a good way of stating in the bid what I can do? I
don't want the customer to get alarmed that if he goes with
a single person business, that the installation could be
down for a long time. The customer has only ever talked to
me and I don't have letterhead paper etc, so he should have
figured out that I'm just a small local operation. I haven't
told him that I have a full time job and I do projects like
his to earn extra money.

Thanks Joe