[TriLUG] MIS degrees (was Re: OT: Certifications - Education)

Randall Barlow rpbarlow at eos.ncsu.edu
Mon Aug 29 18:43:50 EDT 2005

Shane O'Donnell wrote:

>Arguably, most true CS and/or EE programs spend far too much time
>talking about the "science" or "engineering" pieces for the taste of
>most of today's businesses.

As an EE student who is bound more towards the research end of the
spectrum (hopefully) in my career, I appreciate the amount of "science
speak" that goes on in my program.  Although most folks may pursue a job
after their B.S., not all of us do.  Perhaps options to take courses on
the business side would be more appropriate than a mandate to do so, at
least in my opinion.  At NC State, this is a route one could take with
their general education.  It's all really a matter of what the student
is looking for in their education...

Randy Barlow