[TriLUG] EVEN MORE OT: Certifications - Education

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 11:42:25 EDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Shane O'Donnell <shaneodonnell at gmail.com> wrote:

> So the updated cheer would go something like:
>
> Two bits, Four bits, Six bits, a byte?
>
> Shane O.

You know this whole thread is making me feel really old.

1) Because I remembered that a bit was 1/8 of a dollar, and when stock
prices used to be quoted in bits (I mean eights).
2) Because it dredged up the recollection that I actually knew the guy who
invented the term byte. If my aging memory serves his name was Wernher
Bucholz. We were both active in the IBM Poughkeepsie Microcomputer Hobbyists
Club back when the IBM PC hadn't quite come out and we were a mix of guys
who build homebrew systems (usually S-100) and early adopters of Trash-80s
and Apple ][s. Actually the the term byte was coined, during the design of
the IBM 7030 "Stretch", perhaps the first "Super"computer, it usually meant
6-bits. It wasn't until the IBM 360 that its common meaning of 8-bits was
settled.

Which brings me back to the original topic of certifications, education, and
experience. In my case I've got a 31 year old BSEE in Computer Science, and
I'm retired after a 31 year career. As such I know an awful lot about
computers and software, and object-oriented programming languages and
applications in particular, but I'm a relative newbie when it comes to
practical experience with Linux and Posix systems. Back when I started
programming in college, UNIX was still emerging from the fingertips of Brian
Kerninghan, Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie, and most computers from Digital
Equipment Corporation (I wonder who many here even remember them) were still
running various DEC operating systems, and the VAX didn't yet exist running
either VMS or UNIX.

While I've crossed paths with UNIX/POSIX systems over the course of those 35
years, I really didn't start to gain any real competency until I started
playing with Linux at home a couple of years ago. I'd like to get into some
consulting, and right now I look at the various certifications and
certification prep books etc. as a way of organizing what I need to catch up
on.