[TriLUG] Remote server monitoring

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 14:46:16 EDT 2005

Before I join the Holy war going on, I just want to say that I've been
using OpenNMS for many years now. It is by far the best monitoring tool
I have ever seen or used (and I've played with Nagios since the days it
was called Netsaint).

OpenNMS works best on a dedicated box... which is of course what you
really want if you are truly expecting server/service/network monitoring
to alert you when your main server goes South.

Nagios is cool, and lower power. You can easily add it to an existing
over-taxed server and get decent results for typical service monitoring.
Don't put too much faith in Nagios' network mapping.

If you want the best monitoring tool available (on a dedicated server)
then OpenNMS is what you are looking for.

If you're just hacking together a quick monitoring app to run on an
existing server, then Nagios will work great.

Jon Carnes
CTO FeatureTel