[TriLUG] Intel Proset Wireless 2200BG Driver Installation

Randall Barlow rpbarlow at ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 1 23:52:33 EDT 2005

David McDowell wrote:

>glad that helped... even more specifically:
>
>http://www.turnpike420.net/linux/Ubuntu_notes.txt
>
>I dunno what version the drivers and firmware are now, so tweak to
>your needs.  post in the TriLUG wiki and update the notes if you like,
>just let me know you did so!

I've been following your directions, and these worked last time.
However, I just ran into a problem.  I will write the instructions given
below and offer comments.  The problem is with instruction 5.

1.  http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/pool/contrib/i/ipw2200/ipw2200-source_1.0.4-1_all.deb
The new version of this file is 1.0.6_2, no big deal.

2.  http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=5
3.  sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential module-assistant
No problems here.

4.  untar the firmware to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
tar didn't do anything because I actually already had this in that directory from the previous install (I updated the kernel and wiped out the wireless...)

5.  sudo dpkg -i /path/to/ipw2200-source_1.0.4-1_all.deb

And here is where the problem lies:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ipw2200-source:
 ipw2200-source depends on ieee80211-source (>= 1.0.3); however:
  Package ieee80211-source is not installed.

Quick Googling doesn't seem to help me find a .deb file to install
this.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randy Barlow