[TriLUG] Failing hard drives (laptops)

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Sep 5 23:52:44 EDT 2005

On Monday 05 September 2005 16:40, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, T. Bryan wrote:
> > On the other hand, when I look at the error log (smartctl -l error), it
> > shows the last five errors
> > Error (17|16|15|14|13) at disk power on
> > UNC 45 sectors at LBA 0x01d563ba = 30761914.
>
> don't wait another minute. power it down,

Thanks.  The stuff in the /var/log/messages freaked me out enough, but I
wasn't sure what smartctl was telling me.  I hadn't used it before, but I
think that I'll be adding smartd to my machines.  :-)

The machine/hard drive has been off for over a week, waiting for me to find
the time to do something with it.  My wife has been using one of the other
machines this week.  Thankfully, I moved her over to Linux years ago, so she
can use any of the machines in the house, and she has had access to recent
backups of her files.  :-)

> figure out how
> you're going to back it up, then mount it somewhere else
> (ro), back it up and swap it out and thank your lucky stars.

I've already tarred off all of the important files (from Knoppix).  I was
going to use g4u so that I could get the Windows partition and the Linux
partition in one slurp, but I think that I'm in a decent spot to recover now
from the tarballs.

Do I need to worry about /dev/?  When I untar the tarball onto the new disk,
what do I need to do so that Debian Sarge will have all of its devices
available?  Should I get /dev/ from the tarball, or can I regenerate them on
boot?

---Tom