[TriLUG] DHCP/DNS server and DOS boot disk - Take 2

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Thu Sep 8 10:13:27 EDT 2005

Ok. It was working. DHCP was serving out the IP's great for the past 2
weeks. Suddenly yesterday, it stopped working in DOS. So I brought up my
trusty PHLAK linux box and started poking around. I found some DNS
errors so I fixed those and rebooted the server. Still DHCP in DOS isn't
happy.

In the happy "Autoexec.bat" on the DOS diskette, here is the load order.
Keep in mind this HAS been working the past 2 weeks:

Create RAM drive, copy stuff to it, run the following (in order) from
the RAM drive:

<snip>
net initialize
netbind.com
umb.com
tcptsr.exe
tinyrfc.exe
nmtsr.exe
emsbfr.exe
net start
</snip>

When it gets to netbind.com, it sits there. Running "tail -f
/var/log/messages" on the DHCP server I get a message stating
DHCPREQUEST recieved from MAC Address, a DCHPOFFER is given and that
repeats. Also, the DNS issue on this box says "IN A rrset doesn't exist.
Add 'servername' timed out"

Help!

TIA
Roy