[TriLUG] tv tuner cards

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:41:47 EDT 2005

On 9/8/05, unctux at nc.rr.com <unctux at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Anyone know of the best tv tuner card to get for linux? Or by the same
> token any specific cards to stay away from. I have a few ideas but I
> thought I would take advantage of the resources we all have available to
> us and get some ideas from the group.
>
> Mike M.

If you're thinking about MythTV, go with a Hauppauge PVR150, 250, 350 or 500
card. They are not the cheapest, but they are well supported. I've got a
PVR500 and a PVR250 in the same Linux/MythTV box and both work fine. All the
cards offer onboard analog tuners with hardware mpeg2 encoding. The PVR350
also has hardware decoding for display. This is nice, but can be problematic
to get working.

Good luck,
Ken