[TriLUG] Apache and Virtual Hosts help

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Fri Sep 9 12:22:53 EDT 2005

Gang:

We're working on a new HTTP poller for OpenNMS that does things like
handle virtual domains, user agents, etc. Just wanted to know if
anyone could shed light on the following behavior.

If I

telnet opennms.org 80

and send the following strings:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: zztop.canes.com
Connection: Close

I get a 302 Found response. The Host is just made up, so I would
expect a 400 or 500 level error.

If I do the same for another server:

telnet internal.opennms.com 80

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: zztop.canes.com
Connection: Close

I get a 200 response with the default page.

Since I get different responses, I assume that I have configured
apache differently on each server. My questions:

1) What *should* be the response? Is there an RFC or standard that
dictates it?

2) How would I configure it for a 404, etc.

-T
-----

Tarus Balog
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.
Main  : +1 919 545 2553   Fax:   +1 503-961-7746
Direct: +1 919 647 4749   Skype: tarusb
Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C