[TriLUG] OT help using vlans

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 21:06:16 EDT 2005

I need some help with vlans.  I understand the concept, however I am
having a hard time tring to figure out how to implement it on our switches
at work.  I have 4 offices all connected via fiber to our core switch.  On
each switch I want to create 3 vlans, lets say accounting (vlan1) , IT
(vlan2), IP phones (vlan3).  Each vlan is acording to its IP subnet.
10.10.1.0/24 -> acounting, 10.10.2.0/24 -> IT, 10.10.3.0/24 -> IP phones.
Oh and these are routed using a linux box with static routes.  My question
is that on our switches Do I have to specify an ip address of each vlan,
meaning would I have to give vlan 1 and IP address of 10.10.1.x/24 on the
switch.  My second question is since each switch has an uplink, to another
switch and each switch contains all 3 vlans must the uplink port be a
member of all 3 vlans?  Another question is if all 4 switches are a member
of the same stack will the vlan IDs carry over to the other switches?  We
do not want to do any modifications on the workstations, so I do not thing
the vlans need to be tagged.

In case it matters, I am using an HP procurve 4108gl at our main office
uplinking an HP procurve 4160gl, a HP procurve 2650, and an HP 2824.
Thanks in advance,
Chris