[TriLUG] Digital Video Recorders: advice

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:44:58 EDT 2005

Folks,

I could use some advice for an upcoming project for which I will need
several portable audio recorders. I could just use cassette, but would
prefer to take the opportunity to move to a better, electronic system for
archiving. These will be recordings of public meetings as well as
interviews one-on-one.

The ideal device, from my point of view, would:
- Record in a generall-available format (e.g., mp3, ogg, etc.);
- Have removeable media (xd, sd, ...);
- Have long battery life; and
- Be extremely reliable.

Any advice? Olympus looks good but they mostly use DSS format which seems
useless.  I was looking too at the iriver T-30 1GB, but it doesn't have
removeable media.

Thanks,
Andy