[TriLUG] server install

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Wed Sep 14 14:49:59 EDT 2005

Check the IBM website for install instructions:

*Installing SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 Products - IBM eServer
xSeries 346 (Type 8840)
*http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=8840&q2=suse&uid=psg1MIGR-59385&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=us&lang=en
and
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/search.wss?rs=0&lang=en&loc=en_US&r=10&cs=utf-8&rankfile=0&cc=us&spc=&stc=&apar=include&q1=8840&q2=suse&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&sort=rk&tc=&dc=&dtm

Once you have the OS installed, install the Broadcom NIC driver from the
IBM website after the OS is installed, do not use the default "tg3"
driver. You'll get much better throughput. Also update the BIOS,
diagnostics, and Broadcom firmware BEFORE installing the OS. You will
need a Windows machine to unpack some of the files needed. Heres a link
to the main x346 support page

Main x346 support page:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/search.wss?q=8840&rs=0&lang=en+en&loc=en-US&from=tss&ics=iso-8859-1&cs=utf-8&cc=us&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=search

Hope this helps