[TriLUG] Two questions about this...

Barry Gaskins barry.gaskins at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 10:14:26 EDT 2005

 I did a search using google and all I could find were copies of the press
release you have in the link. I suspect that if it does run linux then it
will be a locked down version of embedded linux that will not give you
permission to run anything that the phone provider does not provide (for a
price). If they let you run anything you want then you would not have to pay
them $3+ for each ringtone and whatever they want to play their star trek
game. An open platform would be really cool because you could upload any mp3
to play when the phone rings without paying the ridiculous prices the
provider charges and I bet lots of cool open souce free games and
applications would develop. But they are not going to do that because they
are only interested in sucking all the money from your bank account.
Maybe someday one of these companies will realize that if they did create an
open platform and let the open source would create killer apps then they
could make money providing the phone service communications it requires.
They are after all supposed to be mobile phone providers. That will be the
day...
- Barry Gaskins