[TriLUG] TriLUG Ubuntu Fall Fund Drive

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sat Sep 17 00:10:52 EDT 2005

i can't speak for mr. tate, nor do i know what was said specifically,
but let me state for the record that trilug is distro-agnostic.  we as
an organization do not favor any particular distro, nor do we diss any
particular distro.  as long as it's linux, or maybe bsd, we're happy :)

having said that, there have been a few comments here and there
suggesting that trilug is (or could be perceived as being) too
redhat-centric.  this is possibly because:

- we're located in the same city as redhat's hq
- our monthly meetings held at redhat's hq
- several of our speakers have been redhat (or former redhat) employees

the first point tends to influence the latter two, but i see that as
being a positive and not a negative.  i for one am very grateful that
redhat has offered us the use of their facilities, and their large pool
of linux and open source knowledge has provided us with many useful and
interesting meeting topics.

i believe that trilug members represent a highly varied cross-section of
linux users, very few of whom have demonstrated themselves to be redhat
"fanboys".  i know for a fact that my fellow triluggers run mandrake,
suse, debian, ubuntu, gentoo, slackware, and of course redhat and fedora
(plus many others that i've omitted).  if anything, linux users tend to
be contrarian by nature, and my experience suggests that the pro-redhat
coalition in trilug is weaker than you'll find in other LUGs.

anyone who wishes to organize a presentation on a particular topic is
invited to email steering at trilug.org.  generally speaking, we try to
avoid anything distro-specific, but if we feel that a topic is
interesting enough, we'll add it to the list.  personally, i think that
a presentation about an open source project or technology is more
compelling to our membership than a presentation about a specific
distro, but we consider every suggestion made to the steering committee.
  i'd say that at least half of our presentations are attributable to
member's suggestions, so keep 'em coming!

jason tower
trilug steering committee chairman