[TriLUG] Limited Access User Account

Barry Gaskins barry.gaskins at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 21:43:44 EDT 2005

 It sounds like you should probably give this guy either a restricted shell
account or a regular account with set up with sudo permissions for a limited
number of commands. I think sudo logs the stuff he tries to do but I am not
familiar with restricted shell. Sit down and talk to him and tell him what
his limits are and tell him that his every move is logged and what the
consequences of stepping over the bounds are.

You want to give this guy the opportunity to learn his job. If you just give
him webadmin rights then he will not learn his job or if he is really good
then he may be insulted that you do not trust him at all. If you maintain
good backups then if he screws up with the limited access you give him then
you should be able to recover. If he is really evil then logging should be
able to detect what he is up to in case you suspect he is up to something
bad. But in that case then give himself enough rope to hang himself if he is
so inclined. If he is a good apple then let him prove himself. If he is a
bad apple then it is better to discover it now than when he is given full
admin rights.

- Barry Gaskins