[TriLUG] Build your own Linux distribution

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:58:52 EDT 2005

Several of you have mentioned to me about work that you're doing to
remaster Knoppix, or a wish you have to build your very own customized
Linux distribution for a specific purpose.  For the last three months
I've been head-down working on making a public interface for building
your own derived Linux product.  We've been in beta for a few days,
and I feel comfortable extending the beta pool to my close friends in
TriLUG (not just those that hang out in IRC).

rBuilder, hosted by rPath will;
  * Host your project
  * Provide mailing lists for discussing your project
  * Host your package repository
  * Build and host your downloadable Anaconda based bootable and
installable ISO images.

rBuilder uses Conary technology (which was presented at our June
meeting), so getting to know it will be necessary, but a simple howto
on creating your own derived distribution is available at
http://wiki.conary.com/DerivativeDistroTutorial

If you are interested, visit http://www.rpath.org/ and create an
account.  Then either contact a project owner to get added to their
project, or create your own.  Join #conary on Freenode, or use the
contact information to make suggestions or get help.  My own fledgling
project is called port25, and aims to be an all in one mail server
distribution.

A simple project taking existing packages takes an hour or so to
build.  Projects can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like.

Let me know what you think!
--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com