[TriLUG] Linux C++ Programming Question

Bradford Powell bcpowell at email.unc.edu
Thu Sep 22 16:39:59 EDT 2005

I would image that 'cout.setf(ios::unitbuf)' would make cout be unbuffered
(see http://www.cppreference.com/io_flags.html ).

However, a better solution might be to use cerr instead of cout for
progress information. cerr is unbuffered by default (so you can be sure
your error messages get written before your program crashes). Plus, if you
aren't interested in the progress info for a given run, you can just do:
./a.out 2>/dev/null
and progress won't be written to the terminal

-- Bradford Powell