[TriLUG] Advice sought on Laptop backup

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:02:26 EDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Joel Ebel <jbebel at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> I'd recommend a push from the laptop so you can initiate it easily from
> the laptop.  Just a simple script to rsync the folders you want backed
> up would do the trick.  And you can either run it on your own or add a
> cron job to do it, but you'd have to remember that it would only work
> when the laptop was running and connected.  So you may have to do it
> manually on occasion.  If you aren't connected, the rsync would just
> fail.  I'd use something like:
> rsync -avz --delete
> for each folder you want backed up so what's on your server is identical
> to what's on your laptop for those folders.  You can add some excludes
> if you want to not back up some things inside those folders.  Then if
> you want to have some rolling hard links you can do all that on the
> server side against the rsync you just made.

Well I did a little googling and ran across backuppc
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Which looks pretty sophisticated. It pulls from the server, but also
detects the presence/absence of clients.  Clients can be *nix, or
Windows or a mix. Data transfer can be via, tar, rsync, rsyncd, or
smb.  It also has a cgi admin interface by which you can check status,
and schedule backups and restores. You can even authorize users to
schedule backup ops for particular clients via this interface. A
certain amount of server config

Does anyone have any familiarity with backuppc.  It looks like it does
everything I'm looking for except for on-the-road backups, which I
guess would require setting up a vpn connection rather than just ssh.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/