[TriLUG] OT: Education

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 16:40:01 EDT 2005

I think we need to note that there's a clear difference between what
we should advocate in the main (what is best for society) and what
we're willing to shoulder for ourselves. We've got two arguments going
and the "answer" to one may not work for the other.

I'll agree strongly with Jon if we're talking about what he or I or
other LUG members should do with our time, but (for example) k-12
school performance (I mean the likelihood of the school meeting NCLB
standards) correlates most strongly with:

(1) avg. education level of parents
(2) avg. num. of students on free or reduced lunch (num. of students
living in poverty)

So if we want our kids to be successful at the k-12 level, we'll stick
them in schools in rich neighborhoods, at which point the rich parents
will pull out and found a charter school and... we all know that
correlation does not imply causation...

I (cue Cajun Chef voice) gay-rohn-TEEE Bill Gates had a quality k-12 education.

My underlying point is that I think this argument could bounce around
all over the place without really adding anything meaningful to
answering the question, "Should I get a RHCE (or other) cert?"

(Added desirability Cert gives job candidates)
  - (Cost of Cert in dollars)
  - (Cost of Cert in time)
  - (Current job satisfaction)
 = X

If (X > 0)
 get Cert

Unless I missed a variable, which is likely. If I'm right, then there
is really only one point worth arguing about, and that is, "Do
employers look for the RHCE when hiring?" because the rest depends on
the individual.

Or we could just look at studies ([1]Lever et al. Social Indicators
Research. Sep2005, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p375, 34p; [2] "The pursuit of
happiness" Economist. 12/18/2004, Vol. 373 Issue 8406, p55, 3p, 1 map,
4c; [3] Bookwalter & Dalenberg. Social Indicators Research. Feb2004,
Vol. 65 Issue 3, p333, 21p) correlating subjective well-being and
income. Apparently once you're above the poverty threshold, subjective
well-being doesn't correlate very well with income (ie. more money !=
happier). That would mean we need to look at "(Current job
satisfaction)" more closely and argue about what affects it.

</book>

-CMP