[TriLUG] Proposal for TriLUG List (was Re: Filtering mail)

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:05:43 EDT 2005

On 9/26/05, Cristobal Palmer <cristobalpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I keep getting messages that are labeled "OT:" in the subject line,
> but I don't want to read them. How do I get rid of them without having
> to hit the delete key every time?

Mailman can be setup to recognize messages labeled like this as
"Topics" and can also be setup for the user to decide if they want to
receive a particular topic.  I would be more than happy to set this up
for the TriLUG list with the Steering Commitee's permission.

This would basically allow anyone subscribed to the list to go to
their list configuration page and unclick a checkbox to indicate
that they didn't want to receive messages with OT: in the subject.
Besides making it easy for subscribers, it could also lessen the
load on the mailman server and mail server, since those messages
would be filtered out *before* being sent.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace