[TriLUG] mount -o loop on a gzipped image?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Oct 5 14:46:03 EDT 2005

Hi Y'all,
   I've created a compressed image of a drive using g4u.  The drive is
70GB; the image is about 10GB (lots of empty space).  My question is
twofold:

1) Is it possible to somehow filter mount through gzip so that I can do
a loopback mount on a zipped image without needing to unzip the image?
I do not have 70GB free in which to unzip.

2) If the image contains multiple partitions, can I do #1 and also
choose a particular partition to mount within the image?

I want to do this just as sanity-checking to make sure g4u did the Right
Thing.  Because this is $boss's wife's laptop being sent for service,
and losing all the data would probably take my job along with it.

I'm looking through manpages and googling also, but I thought I would
pose the question to the list as well.

Thank all!

Cheers,
~Brian