[TriLUG] Bind question

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 15:44:12 EDT 2005

I have set up two bind servers (one with master zones and the other with
slave zones). After much research and work I have all of my domains set up
and have verified that transfers are working properly. Now is the time for
the servers to go live. I have pointed two test domains to these name
servers before moving anything in full production. Requests aren't making it
through. I think I have missed a step. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Set up servers
2) Verified that transfers are working properly from master to slave
3) Entered all of my zones, a records, ns records, mx records etc...
4) Opened port 53 on the firewall for both servers
(ns1.nccumc.org<http://ns1.nccumc.org>and
ns2.nccumc.org <http://ns2.nccumc.org>)
5) Registered both name servers as public servers through my domain
registrar
6) Pointed two domains (nccumc.com <http://nccumc.com> and
nccumc.net<http://nccumc.net>)
to the name servers

I can't get through to them (name servers). While reading the O'Reilly book
on Bind it was suggested to use the following line in named.conf to restrict
all activity to port 53:

query-source address * port 53;

Have I missed a port (or range of ports) that should be opened? Maybe a
configuration step? Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks!