[TriLUG] Slightly OT:Vonage vs. TWC Phone Service

Shane O'Donnell shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 12:11:14 EDT 2005

Vonage +1

Used to have the ATA outside the router (used a WRT54G v1 first and
quality was poor, replaced it with a Netgear and quality was still
poor), but then I got a WRT54GS in place, forwarded a few ports, and
voila!

The upside to TWC (this is purely based on rumor and conjecture) is
that if you have their voice service and you experience a cable
outage, you are on the priority list to get it fixed.  That said, my
neighbor two doors down has TWC Voice Services and I've noticed any
significant difference in his service from mine, nor in our service
from prior to him getting TWC Voice.

Vonage did manage to significantly foul up my portability request, but
they comped me service for three months while the fooled with it.

Shane O.

On 10/6/05, Jason Tower <jason at cerient.net> wrote:
> vonage +1
> twc -1
>
> works like a champ for me, i'm behind a wrt54gs but have not set up qos,
> doesn't seem to matter much.  plus it's cheaper and has more features.
> easy choice imho.
>
> Matt Pusateri wrote:
> > Triluggers,
> >
> > I trying to decide on Vonage versus Time Warner Cable's phone service.
> >  I have had mixed reviews on both.  Anyone care to share the
> > experiences.  From a price perspective Vonage seems more desirable,
> > but I don't want to end up in one of those - You get what you pay for
> > scenarios.
> >
> > Also those that are successful in having good quality voip service do
> > you have the voip ATA box ahead of you local network or behind.  If
> > behind are you doing and QOS.  My setup will most likely involve a
> > WRTG54.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matt P.

Shane O.