[TriLUG] Boot ubuntu from floppy?

Liyun Yu yu at radonc.unc.edu
Fri Oct 7 13:59:02 EDT 2005

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Liyun Yu wrote:
>
>> I was trying to figure out how to install Ubuntu on a laptop
>> that has no CD drive and no network NIC connections. It is a
>> Thinkpad 240. There is an external floppy drive and an external
>> USB CD drive is available to host the Ubuntu installation CD
>> but won't boot from there.
>

> I do this by putting the disk into another machine with the needed
> hardware eg another laptop or a desktop machine using a 2.5" to 3.5"
> ide cable adapter (I got mine from Intrex). This doesn't work real
> well for installing windows, as you know from our previous exchanges,
> but is fine for Linux.

Hi, Joe,

Thanks for reply. I did tried to install it like this way from
my DELL laptop. Unfortunately the working ubuntu on DELL
turned into a non working ubuntu without X windows  when
I swap the disk drive back to the Thinkpad 240. Tried to fix
the X windows but  won't help. I give up that way since there
were more issues on other hardware drivers as well.
I could not find a similar old laptop like the Thinkpad 240 locally
to allow more tests.

Thanks,

Liyun