[TriLUG] Slightly OT:Vonage vs. TWC Phone Service

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Oct 8 15:14:14 EDT 2005

MUCH more secure than an ordinary POTS line.

>From a network point of view, the only folks who can grab your packets
are the folks on the host networks that pass your data (like TimeWarner
or Vonage). You don't have much to worry about from TimeWarner's
switched network as it is not setup to allow filtered capture of your
specific packets.

Vonage, on the other hand has to comply with CALEA and allow
State/Federal officials (with proper warrants) to tap a conversation.
The government is still working in the 19th century (as it pertains to
Voice) and wants an analog feed off your VoIP server. Go figure.