[TriLUG] linux media server

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 17:42:16 EDT 2005

This topic has come up from time to time and here it is again.  I want
a Linux PC that I can rip all my DVDs and CDs to so I can take said PC
from the house to the beach so I won't have to drag iPods, CDs, and
DVDs back and forth the beach twice a week.

I've cheked out MythTV and while it looks like a great DVR I'm not
sure that it can handle the CD storage and playing (not to mention DVD
ripping).

The Dave/Dina project looks like it has promise, but also appears to
be lacking some features.

Has anyone built a machine to do this?  If so, what packages did you
use?  Also if you have any ideas what software to use suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Greg