[TriLUG] Limit to command line arguments?

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 19:05:49 EDT 2005

350 arguments? ouch. What kind of program are you running? Maybe there's an
alternative to the arguments?

I'm not sure what the limit is under bash, but I know that under some older
editions of Windows, you're limited to about 100 bytes. Not sure if it's
different now.

WMM

On 10/21/05, Randy Barlow <rpbarlow at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> What is the limit on the number of command line arguments you can pass
> to a program (assuming use of bash). Are there other shells than bash
> that give more? I need to pass about 350 arguments to a program I am
> working on, will this work?
>
> Randy

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős