[TriLUG] Uh-oh: hardware question: IBM VRM

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Oct 27 16:00:28 EDT 2005

Folks, I'm afraid I'm in over my head and am hoping someone can bail me
out.

I bought an IBM xSeries 226 server and am souping it up for use in some
number crunching.  One of my "innovations" was to buy a second CPU for it:
an Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz processor, exactly the same as the one that came with
it.

Problem, though: apparently I have to insert a Voltage Regulator Module
(VRM) in order to enable the second processor. I have no idea what such a
thing is or how I get one, and they're apparently not available from IBM,
since the part is 24R2701 or ...02 and nothing comes up on the website
when I search for that.

So, can anyone tell me what a VRM is and how I can get one?

Thanks-
Andy