[TriLUG] RH to Debian learning curve?

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 16:55:04 EST 2005

For a user new to debian, aptitude may be a good introduction to
debian's package management approach, since you can do an install

sudo aptitude install emacs21

or any other operation that you might do with apt-get from the command
line, but you also get a gui-like set of menus if you call aptitude
with no arguments. Just be aware that when run from within
gnome-terminal, you have to turn off the "F10 accesses menu" feature
of gnome-terminal to be able to use aptitude's menus.

If you don't mind a gui, synaptic is great.

I wouldn't recommend dselect to a new user. The learning curve is
worse than with any of apt-get, aptitude or synaptic, and it doesn't
provide any significant advantage over any of them.

As to keeping abreast of updates: people have discussed various
approaches to managed updates on this list before. I refer you to the
very recent "debian in production" thread, in which the following two
emails stand out:

http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20051017/038034.html

http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20051017/038035.html

Straying OT...

Having said all that, I have to wonder if you perhaps shouldn't get
community feedback on the hosting provider you're looking at. I know
there are a fair number of list members who are very happy with
providers that use Xen or some other VM approach, such that you are
able to choose whatever distribution of Linux you like. Maybe start an
OT thread if you're interested in hearing about such providers.

-CMP