[TriLUG] What could be going on with my nameserver?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 1 18:43:00 EST 2005

I won't debate the issue of forwarders with Aaron, since he's right. In
some situations they are better - most notably when you don't have the
cpu/ram/cache to run a proper caching Name server - hence the forwarding
done by a POS application firewalls like Netgear.

As to the advantages of using Time Warner's Name servers, I need only
point you to the numerous past TriLUG postings on their periodic
unreliable nature (they have been much better lately). I still don't
trust Time Warner for my company or my clients use (though I run a lot
of clients off Time Warner). My own Name servers have 100% uptime for
over three years...

What both Aaron and I agree on though is that the DNS forwarding app in
the Netgear is not doing the job for you and your company. Dump that. If
you are going to use a forwarder - then go directly to the DNS servers
that the Netgear is using.  If you still have problems then dump the use
of forwarders and just do your own look ups. It is the way of Open
Source.

Good Luck,

Jon