[TriLUG] vi(m) #1 of the top ten linux tools admins should know/have

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Nov 2 20:59:24 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 04:28:16PM -0500, Pat Regan wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 14:41, Pat Regan wrote:
> >

> >> Why vi specifically instead of "a text editor?"
> >>

> I'm not exactly sure where you got the idea that I suggested any sorts
> of GUI text editor.
>
> What command line tools exactly do I need to use vi key binding for?
> Everything I use can use emacs bindings just fine, and most things work
> quite well with just arrows/backspace/delete.

I'm sorry, but I need to support some of the other "old farts" in here.

Those of us who have worked "around the world" of Unix, not just in Red
Hat versus Debian Linux, are well aware that the only constant is vi. (
Not vim, or jove, or nvi, or any of the other "modern" variants, but VI.
) There are Unices out there that have no idea what GNU is, let alone
emacs or ( insert everybody's favorite bloated GUI editor here ).

( ducking from inevitable eggs and rotten tomatoes )

Brian