[TriLUG] rfp for lamp based db for gps

John Mitchell john280z at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:26:14 EST 2005

On 11/4/05, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:
> i've got a potential project for a trucking company in new orleans that
> needs to use gps to locate trucks and post data to a central web site.
> most of the gps devices cater to folks that want to know where to go.  i
> need to know where the trucks are to determine if folks are making their
> deliveries or hanging out in the truck stop all day.
>
> i'm thinking about getting notebook pcs equiped with wireless internet
> (perhaps the sprint national network flavor) and a gps device.  if each
> of the 30 trucks sent email every 10 minutes and a program posted the
> data to a central web site, i'd be happy.
>
> any proposals from folks familiar with the tasks at hand?

Jim,

   I would prefer to use a computing device more suited to an
Industrial Environment(and summer in New Orleans is industrial
strength). A device like a PC-104 module would run Linux in ram quite
well for this application. A multitude of products are available from
vendors like Ampro, Micro/sys, and WinSystems all designed for the
severe Automobile environment(80 volt spikes, 140 degree temps, etc).
   You could do a 'proof of concept' of the system on a laptop.

   (I have to run out for a while, this is a quick note, more info if
you want it, price is free as no one else seems to want my experience)

john mitchell